Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Sound Democrat

While we were in Colorado we had to go on a 4-wheeler ride way up into the mountains. Not only is this an amazing experience, it's tradition. We always go atv-ing while we're down there. This of course is one of the guys favorite past times. My two boys included. I had Taiter with me and Jay had Rowster. Every time I would hit the throttle Taiter would squeal and say, "Yeah Mamma! Alright! Yee-haaaawwwwww!"
I was not quite as enthusiastic. The trail was mantained but very steep and there was a lot of loose rock. I have never really driven before, especially with a kid sitting in front of me. Horse back riding had nothing on this! I was terrified.

We went up past 12,000 feet and the view was outstanding. This is very nerve-racking when you are afraid of heights and there are four children between the ages of 1.5 and 5 years old in tow. I threatened impending doom if Jay so much as thought of putting Rowster down. The last thing my heart needed in it's weakened state was a toddler wobbling around at those heights.

I have no idea what this is. It was at the bottom of the mountain. I think it has something to do with all of the old mill buildings around but I'm not certain.


We stopped half way up or so and ate lunch.



"S'up?"






Anyone feeling carnivorous?






These were taken from the "top" of our ride. I don't know what the elevation was here but the air was pretty thin. Although there was a very slight slope, the drop off on either side was pretty scary. The piece we were standing on was very narrow.

You can sort of see the trail we came up in this picture.

This is also the same 4-wheeler that decided it was gong to start rolling while I was standing behind it with my baby in my arms. But I dug into the rocky terrain and clamped my free hand down on that sucker and kept it in place long enough for my honey to rescue me. I am woman, hear me roar!

Even though I was scared(have I mentioned that yet?) I have to admit the view was majestic. These pictures don't even begin to do it justice.













On our way back down we stopped to see this old mill that was in the mountains. If you enlarge the picture I think you can read about it if you wish.








We did actually go inside and it was quite interesting. I did not get pictures of it because I was paranoid that my kids would fall or that it would cave in on us. Not to mention we were all quite out of breath due to the elevation and climbing up the hill.

That was the last of our pictures this day. We pretty much just careened down the mountain from this point on. I gave up trying to keep up with Matt after a while and decided that slow was better downhill.

I have a couple pictures of the kiddos riding Cheyanne's horse later that night. Jay took these as I stayed at the house with Rowan.





The fact that my 3-year-old son is more courageous than I am is a little disconcerting. I would blame it on the fact that he is not old enough to see the danger in these things but I know that in truth, I am a really big coward.

The next day Matt and Jay went to Utah for the remainder of the weekend and Tennille and I just hung out with the kids and did a little shopping. Then it was back to the creepy and haunted north.(If you are wondering, read the Most Excellent Way in my blog list to the right.)
We were relieved to be home but we were even more sad at the idea that it will be at least six months or even longer before we see them again. That's the bummer about family being so spread out. Maybe someday I'll post on the advantages of family being far away...

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Wow that is gourgeous Heidi.. What a view!

Ryan said...

This is great- thanks for sharing all that... I love reading the story and seeing what you are talking about too! It makes me jealous in a "want-to-go-do-that" sort of way.

I know what you mean with the altitude - I got really sick on a 7,000 ft. hike at Glacier a long time ago... Not fun. Not expected either.