Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Orchard Blossoms

As I mentioned before, this is almost my favorite time of year. This is the time of year that everything comes back to life and reminds us of our Saviour and His Resurrection. This is the time of year that the flowers bloom and the grass is still green. Heck, this is the time of year when you can finally send the kids outside and let them get their energy out. What mom doesn't love that?
This time of year is also usually warm without being hot, sunny without being hot, longer days without being hot,... do you see where I'm headed with this? It is the small space of time between gloomy winter and blistering summer where you can relax and enjoy the beauty of nature.
We have a small orchard and this time of year it blooms. I think this is one of the biggest reasons why I love May and June. Having an orchard is just so awesome. The reasons why I love this are many. Part of me, being a girl, simply loves the pretty flowering trees. You look out and there they stand in all their breath-taking glory. Branch upon branch of small pink and white flowers. Part of me likes knowing that we will have yummy fruit in the fall with which we can eat, make pies, share, or freeze for a later date. Part of me likes just watching the process of growth and re-growth that happens in an orchard. But I think the biggest reason why I love having my own orchard is that we had one growing up. It brings back many memories. I can't look at an orchard without thinking of Dad. I remember him planting, pruning, and picking all through my childhood. As a kid you don't usually tend to see the beauty in these things but only the work. I did not appreciate the orchard much back then but now I can see why Dad loved it so much. Of course Terah and I got the lovely job of pulling up all the ferns and stacking all the branches but we also got to pick the fruit and have mushy prune throwing fights. This of course was the most fun part of the orchard growing up. We also got to put our kiddie pool under the trees and pitch a tent and sleep in it on warm nights. I vaguely remember playing a game of graveyard with all the cousins in the orcahard one summer long ago. So even though the orchard meant a lot of not fun work to do it also made a great playground for us four kids. I am excited that my boys get to grow up with an orchard. Because an orchard makes a house feel like home to me.











I know these probably look washed out. That is because I pulled an ameteur mistake and faced them away from the light so I had to brighten them.Anybody got a copy of Photography for Dummies?
Also there are no closeups of Rowster because if you look closely at picture #1, he is screaming his brains out. I plan on posting a whole passel of him next.

As I look at these pictures, I see the beauty of the orchard that I spoke of above but I also see my own precious blossoms and I think they are the most amazing to watch. How does God love someone so much to bless them like this?

"Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children are a reward from him.- Psalm 127:3

2 comments:

Terah said...

Lucky You! I want to get some fruit trees soon.

Yes, I will always think of Dad when I see an orchard, too.

Loved those prune fights!
Also loved the fresh apples and homemade applesauce and cider.

Didn't love getting stung in the mouth by a bee when sleeping in the orchard...

or swallowing that slug while playing in the pool...

Or pulling weeds...

Or picking up rocks...

Or picking the raspberries until our arms were raw and bleeding...

Crystal said...

Heidi, I think these pics are great.. I am terrible about not thinking about lighting! Aghhh.. one day I will get it.....

And I too am jealous of your orchard.....