Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Gift Giving

It happens every year.

The overwhelming task of finding the perfect gifts for each person on our list.

I am not one who buys gifts because it is expected of me. I buy them because I truly want to. I do. I think gifts must be my love language because I enjoy giving them as much or more than receiving them. But I'll admit, the task can be rather daunting at Christmastime. With four kiddos, parents, grandparents, siblings, nieces & nephews, and our spouse, it gets really expensive even when  you are spending frugally.

A couple of years ago we decided that we will no longer purchase gifts for siblings or parents. It was a family decision. My parents, siblings, and I all got together and decided that it was just too much to get a gift for every.single.person. So, my parents don't buy us gifts but focus on the grandkids instead. We have never purchased gifts for Jay's side of the family as it is so large & they all live far away. Half of them don't celebrate Christmas anyhow.

I am fine with this arrangement. It lessens the stress that comes with so much money going out. The only thing is, the kids get really spoiled. We tried to get them only one gift plus stocking stuffers the year before last. That did not work. They had things that they'd been needing and things that we really wanted to get them. Last year we tried to just be really selective but it still wound up being a lot of stuff. It was around last Christmas that I ran into this idea on the internet.

 I LOVE it!

I cannot remember where I first saw it but this lady explains it really well on her blog.

It's perfect. You see, with two of the kids having birthdays right at Christmas as well, this will really help to narrow down the gift-giving options for us.

Each kid gets 4 gifts:

1. Something they want
2. Something they need
3. Something to wear
4. Something to read

It will make me put more thought into what we buy them. Because they only get one for each category. Plus it will free up some of the other things for their birthdays. It will help the gifts to be more meaningful. And it will keep the cost down.

At least, that's what I'm hoping...

No comments: