Friday, February 17, 2012

Tidbits

It seems as though I don't post much over here anymore other than random tidbits. I suppose that's okay. I am trying to get into the swing of taking more pictures of the kiddos again but life seems to get in the way sometimes. You know, you get too busy experiencing it and living it to take pictures of it. I know that someday I will cherish every picture, video, blog post, or memory I get. So I am trying to get as many as I can!

Homeschooling is still a monumental challenge for me. I often wonder if I will ever enjoy it. I long for the days that the kids were little and our days were spent playing & cleaning house. Now most of our day is spent pouring over lessons and battling it out on just "how" or "what" it is that has to be done. Sometimes it seems like an awful lot for a first grader. Adam is constantly whining & trying to get out of what he is supposed to do. He doesn't want to do it. And he will sometimes take 2 hours to complete 2 pages of school work. Sort of like me with housework. There are days when I feel as though homeschooling has ruined my life. All I do is jump all over Adam like white on rice for half the day making sure he's actually doing what he is supposed to. Or disciplining him for NOT doing what he is told. And then I harp on the other two for fighting the entire time because I am so distracted by the schoolwork. It is hard not to fall into the pit of self pity and griping. I just wish I could find some way to enjoy my days with them more. Because someday, these days will be gone.

Potty training is going so-so. I totally agree with the people who say that it is actually training the parent and not the child. On the days that I refuse to be lazy and put her in a pull-up, she does surprisingly well. I am remembering now that I cannot ask if she needs to go potty(this is the third time she's wet herself today because of that)but I simply need to take her.  I think a good week without any pull-ups and we would be able to trust her out and about fairly well. We are still working on the poo thing. She has an aversion to going on the potty for some reason and we have a hrd tim's e catching her.(Hence all the poopy underwear I swore I'd never wash before kids.)

 The women's Bible study we have started is nothing short of amazing. It has gotten me into the Word on a regular basis and although I feel a little downtrodden, I think God may be using it to bring me up out of the despair I have been feeling over homeschooling, weight gain, parenting, marriage, and life in general. Because I have fallen into a pit. A pit of total frustration. I am sure it is a stronghold. My pit. I have allowed myself to complain and be unhappy with the trials in life to the point of it becoming who I am. A chronic griper. It is not right. Not who I am fearfully and wonderfully made to be. And it has been years in the making. I am tired. But not without hope!

One week until our two-week vacation! And I have quite the to-do list. I always have this obsession with getting my house perfectly clean before I start packing for a trip. It is so much easier to find things and all of the laundry is washed and ironed. It makes packing a fun experience. Plus it is so nice to come home to a wonderfully clean home after a vacation. It is nice to have the illusion of thinking all you have to do is laundry. It's not usually the reality but it's still nice to walk into a clean, nice smelling home that you missed and heave a big sigh of relief. Then you bring in all your stuff. And your road-weary kids. Bye-bye relief. Bye-bye illusion.

That being said, I had better get on it! This weekend will most likely be spent preparing the trailer. Then onto the house and hopefully mid-week I can start loading. I love trips. And planning is half the fun!


2 comments:

gramiwaggs said...

I don't remember the ratio but it is said that it takes several positives to overcome the one negative. So every time you catch yourself griping turn around and thank or praise the Lord three times for something. It knocks Satan right off his high horse and puts you on the right track every time. I will be praying for you as always. If it was easy it wouldn't be called life.

The Chad Beck's said...

Keep up the hard work homeschooling. Last year was a tougher year for Kira and I think this year. We're just more in the swing of things, so maybe second grade will be better for you guys as well?? For Kira if she's dragging and just is taking super long, I make it fun for her and say, "okay, how long will it take you to get this subject done I'm going to time you, ready, set, go!" It works EVERYTIME for her, she loves it and we're both happy at the end of it. ;) Also, I try and reward the kids in someway, even if it's something simple like, "hurry Preston, if you get done then you can play xbox till Kira's done with hers!" Or, "let's hurry and get done, then you can play outside in the snow longer" or whatever is important to your kid at the time. I don't have to threaten it away, just trying to make them realise the benifits of getting their school done. We have also been starting at 6:30 each morning and that's helped a ton! We are then done by lunch time and the kids have the whole rest of the day to do whatever.
I know you've been trying to get school done cause of your trip, but I'd recommend coming back to co-op. Your kids need to have different things to look forward to, at least mine do. And an activity they really love and enjoy. My kids look so forward to Awana each week and then Preston looks so forward to soccer twice a year, and Kira now piano. And then the weekly co-op. They had art classes last year. I really feel it is VERY important to get them involved in stuff and see what they like and what makes them thrive.
Hope these tips help! Still learning myself! :/