Monday, October 5, 2009

Milestones

Well, we kicked off autumn with quite a few milestones met in this little life of ours.

First, Rowan is almost potty trained. He's had a 'bout of the runs lately and that has set us back a little. But for the most part, he does really well. *sniffle* I think that I was kinda procrastinating because it was the last of his baby traits to hit the road. Now he is a full-blown boy. Most likely my last boy. But I couldn't let him start kindergarten, or college, in diapers.

Which brings me to our next milestone. I started doing school with Adam today. He gets basic concepts such as same & different, groups, matching, and so on. But as far as the letters and numbers go, we have work to do. I may have jumped the gun when I tried to have him write the letters and numbers we were working on. I think we need to work on recognition first. I don't really have a curriculum yet. I have to wait until payday to order it. We have decided to go with Landmark as it seems simple, very Biblically based, and CHEAP!

On the first of the month, Avril started eating cereal. She just didn't seem to be gaining weight like she should and she was kinda crabby. I've always had issues with getting my babies to gain weight. As soon as they go to the bottle they pack on the pounds and usually get happier as well. So I very adamently informed my husband that I refuse to watch another baby starve for the next year. Yeah. You can imagine how that went over. He was frustrated and thought I was giving up too soon and I was, well, mad and bawling. So we decided that I will nurse as much and as long as I can but start her on cereal and give her a little extra in a bottle a couple times a day. I really hate the idea of formula so we decided to buy organic, thinking it might be a little better. I also bought some tea that's supposed to boost my supply. So far she seems to be happier. And she seems to enjoy the bottle and the cereal so it has helped me to feel better about giving it to her.

Here is her first taste of that powdery goodness.







So now I have to take Rowan potty in the public restrooms (icky), feed Avril cereal every morning, and battle with Adam when he doesn't want to be told how to correctly write something on paper. Did I say milestones? I meant to say millstones.

2 comments:

Terah said...

That 3rd photo is just beautiful!

I'm really putting off the cereal. I hate that faze.

Karina said...

Better than a gallstone! :)

She's a real cutie- what a cute little grin and *such eyes!*.

Both our kids have been the 'born-big-then-drop-weight-and-be-petite-till-the-age-of-two' type. I hear your pain. Levi has days where he keeps his nappy dry, but days where he just doesnt want to go at all. *sigh*. Doesnt want to know about doing #2's in the loo. A couple of weeks ago he stood on his stool, aimed at the toilet, and did a poo. Which promptly plopped between his legs onto the stool. Drama. Crisis. Emergency. Never tried since.

Work on letter recognition first...Jayde had a basic idea of letter association, but the 'Ants on the apple a a a' song really helped her along. You can google flashcards to go with it I think.