Friday, August 12, 2011

Before Autumn

Okay, so I have been panicking because school is starting in just 4.5 weeks. I am fine with that and look forward to the routine that it brings but as a homeschooling mom, I would really like my house to be clean and organized beforehand. Four-and-a-half weeks. Is that enough time to deep clean my entire house? I mean really clean it. You know, move furniture around and get rid of everything we don't use or need and scrub baseboards and so on.

Sure, you might think that 4.5 weeks sounds like plenty of time. But here's the thing: I also have harvest time coming. Which means hours and days of picking, cleaning, pealing, slicing, juicing, and canning. Literally, days worth of this stuff. With three kids underfoot. True, they can help some. But still...

And I don't want to just clean either. I want to decorate and organize but simplify all at once.

I do not lack motivation, just inspiration.

Oh, how I admire our foremothers.


So here's what needs to be done before school:

  • cleaning & organizing the house
  • buy Avril's bed and bedding
  • complete Avril's room
  • finish the school room
  • yard work (rock removal, weeding, mowing, etc.)
  • canning supplies purchased
  • first apples picked & something (maybe applesauce)
  • lesson plans worked out
  • calendar time for co-op planned out
That's my August to do list.

Here's September:
  • start school
  • start co-op
  • pick plums
  • juice plums
  • make jelly
  • pick pears
  • peel, core, & slice pears
  • can pears
  • pick apples
  • make applesauce
  • take apples to be pressed
  • fall yard work (last mowing, raking, putting up summer stuff, etc.)
  • possibly paint the exterior of the house
  • clean out 5th-wheel
Feel free to join me for any of the harvesting work. I may even send you home with stuff!

I would love organizing tips for bedrooms and kitchen. Cost-effective of course.

3 comments:

The Chad Beck's said...

I wanna come help you with some of it! Lets plan a day or two, please not for the apple sauce though, we have a ton in our freezer and we have more to make soon from our apple tree. ;)
It's been two weeks without dairy and I'm seeing a big difference with Elin!! So that's why I can even think about helping!!

Heidi said...

okay!

maybe you could come when i do pears in september. you could help me peel and core them. or you could come when i do jelly. that's usually pretty easy though. i don't pit the plums, i just boil the juice out of them and then make the jelly.

or you could come for both! ;)

i'm so glad elin is happier! it's such a relief, isn't it?

Shea said...

I would love to come help with the kids. I know we are a crew but it would be so nice to work and catch up. We are p north of Bonners but please give me a call. I will be available on my cell until Wednesday 904 304 2251. After that I will be at 267-3726. Hope to hear from you soon!